Certain information on this Website may contain forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended, with respect Waddell & Reed Financial, Inc. and its subsidiaries (collectively “Waddell & Reed” “we”, “us” or “our”).
These forward-looking statements reflect the current views and assumptions of management with respect to future events regarding our business and industry in general. These forward-looking statements include all statements, other than statements of historical fact, regarding our financial position, business strategy and other plans and objectives for future operations, including statements with respect to revenues and earnings, the amount and composition of assets under management, distribution sources, expense levels, redemption rates and the financial markets and other conditions. These statements are generally identified by the use of such words as “may,” “could,” “should,” “would,” “believe,” “anticipate,” “forecast,” “estimate,” “expect,” “intend,” “plan,” “project,” “outlook,” “will,” “potential” and similar statements of a future or forward-looking nature. You are cautioned that any forward-looking information provided by us or on our behalf is not a guarantee of future performance. Actual results may differ materially from those contained in these forward-looking statements as a result of various factors, including but not limited to those discussed below. If one or more events related to these or other risks, contingencies or uncertainties materialize, or if our underlying assumptions prove to be incorrect, actual results may differ materially from those forecasted or expected.
Certain important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from our expectations are disclosed in the “Risk Factors” section of our Annual Report on Form 10-K for the most recent year end, which includes, without limitation:
- The loss of existing distribution channels or inability to access new distribution channels;
- A reduction in assets under our management on short notice, through increased redemptions in our distribution channels or our Funds, particularly those Funds with a high concentration of assets, or investors terminating their relationship with us or shifting their funds to other types of accounts with different rate structures;
- The adverse ruling or resolution of any litigation, regulatory investigations and proceedings, or securities arbitrations by a federal or state court or regulatory body;
- The introduction of legislative or regulatory proposals or judicial rulings that change the independent contractor classification of our financial advisors at the federal or state level for employment tax or other employee benefit purposes;
- A decline in the securities markets or in the relative investment performance of our Funds and other investment portfolios and products as compared to competing funds;
- The ability of mutual fund and other investors to redeem their investments without prior notice or on short notice;
- Our inability to reduce expenses rapidly enough to align with declines in our revenues, the level of our assets under management or our business environment;
- Non-compliance with applicable laws or regulations and changes in current legal, regulatory, accounting, tax or compliance requirements or governmental policies;
- Our inability to attract and retain senior executive management and other key personnel to conduct our broker-dealer, fund management and investment management advisory business;
- A failure in, or breach of, our operational or security systems or our technology infrastructure, or those of third parties on which we rely; and
- Our inability to implement new information technology and systems, or our inability to complete such implementation in a timely or cost effective manner.
The foregoing factors should not be construed as exhaustive and should be read together with other cautionary statements included in Waddell & Reed's latest annual report on Form 10-K, quarterly reports on Form 10-Q, and current reports on Form 8-K for other important factors that could cause results to differ materially from those in any such forward-looking statements. These documents are available on the SEC Filings section of the Investor Relations section of our Website at http://ir.waddell.com/Docs.
All forward-looking statements speak only as of the date on which they are made and we undertake no duty to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, except to the extent required by law.